Friday, February 19, 2010

Catching Up, Lent, and Family Rules Canvas

Hello all,

So, I know some of you maybe wondering what my deal is this month. I have to admit your concerns are warranted, my posts have no doubt been few and far between.  Sorry. I would like to say I have a legitimate excuse, but to be honest I don't. In fact, it's just been a little bit of everything. At first, I was just trying to not be such a stickler about posting every weekday. It was stressing me out and I could tell my husband and kids were frustrated because it was taking time away from the family. Probably because I still have yet to figure out a working schedule for all this blogging. I have also been a little busier since the holidays ended. All our weekly events are in full gear again and that has only made it harder to fit in blogging.

Anywho, I wanted to catch up with all of you and just let you in on a few things I've been up to. First, I recently started the Beth Moore study "Living Beyond Yourself" for the second time. I barely made it to week two the first time I started years ago, but I knew it was one I wanted to finish. Then, all the ladies in my lifegroup got together and voted to do this study as our Spring Bible Study, I was in!


Oh, and I made a book mark especially for this study.





If you haven't seen this let me tell you they are so cool. They open up and fit over the corner of the page.

What's next?
I'm also doing a study with my sister-in-law at her church; it's called "Wired That Way." It's actually a personality study, not a Bible Study. Regardless, it has been fun and informative thus far. The lady leading the class actually trained under the authors Marita and Florence Littauer. Has anyone ever taken this test? If so what is your personality type? I'm borderline Powerful Choleric and Perfect Melancholy, and I do mean borderline. I have taken the test 3 times (once by myself, once with my husband, and once with my sister-in-law) and every time I was dead even between the personalities. At first I was surprised, because I thought I would be Perfect Melancholy all the way. Then the more I thought about it I realized EVERY single person on both sides of my family is either pure Powerful Choleric or a combination of it. It's obviously in my blood. On top of that, it only makes since that in such a family one would learn to speak up in order to just be heard.



Finally, for Lent I added a prayer study called "Seek GOD for the City 2010."  I have to say; though I am only 3 days into this devotional I'm so glad I'm doing it. It is so refreshing and humbling to pray on behalf of others, and it's just another way for me to dive into prayer in 2010. If you want to learn more about Lent you should check out Coffee, God and Me she is doing a great series on it.



Let's see what else...? Oh, My Family Rules Canvas!!!

 

I'm not quite done yet. I still have a few embellishments I want to add, but I'm having a hard time finding them.
First, I have this really cool G stamp and I want to it to the left of "Family Rules" so it will say "G Family Rules". I just need to borrow my mother-in-laws light blue stamp pad.

Then, I want to add a set of wedding rings and a briefcase to the right side of "work hard". To symbolize that we should work hard at every aspect of life: school, sports, marriage/relationships, and careers.
Finally, I want to add one more butterfly to the right border of "Guard Your Mind" and "Pray about Everything & Thank God Always."


Here are some close ups of the rest. I have to say so far I am very satisfied with it!




For directions on how to do one of these check out The Pleated Poppy.

My Rules are:
1. Pray about EVERYTHING & Thank God ALWAYS.
2. Guard your mind.
3. Work hard.
4. Have fun.
5. Be honest, keep your promises.
6. Be kind, use your manners.
7. Be respectful, ask first.
8. Listen carefully.
9. Obey your parents, your teachers & God.
10. Build others up.
11. Find contentment in EVERY circumstance.
12. No whining.
13.Act responsibly, think hard, choose wisely.
14. Say I love you often.
15. Hands are for hugging NOT hitting.
16. Forgiveness is mandatory, NEVER leave angry.
17. Bless your food, be grateful, eat together.
18. Be a good steward, clean YOUR stuff.
19. Share EVERYTHING, there is NO "MINE", it is ALL GOD"S.
20. Love the LORD your GOD.

Finally, if you are joining from Follow Friday I am so glad to have you.

Here's a little about me:
First of all, I love the Lord.! Beyond that, I have been married to my best friend Josh for five years. We have two kids Jeremiah 4 and Cherish 2 and I get to stay at home with them.  If you look around you will find posts on everything from marriage and parenting, to prayer and growing closer to God, even a few crafts.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post and for including the links. I like your Family Rules canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! Family Rules! Sean and I just got back from Hobby Lobby with the stuff to do ours!! Yay! Yours looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, Hi! I'm following back from Follow Friday! I really enjoyed my first visit here! I love your family--your kids are adorable. And all the things you're involved in--Whew! You must be one busy lady! Your "personality" sounds like me:) or at least as I remember what those descriptions are like. Your Bible study sounds really interesting, I'll have to check that out. Well, I'm looking forward to coming and having fun reading and looking around your blog. Thanks for following!
    Blessings,
    Wendy @ Faith's Firm Foundation

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you haven't posted! You've been one busy girl!! I haven't figured out a blogging schedule yet, either, and I've been blogging for a year! Every week day is usually too much for me. I can't keep up with that and visiting other blogs. I shoot for 2 to 3 times a week, but I haven't gotten really regular with any schedule. Bad, I know!
    I've done Living Beyond Yourself twice... it is awesome! I'm doing Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed right now. It's a combination of Beth Moore, Priscilla Shirer and Kay Arthur. It's just a 6 week study, but it is great. I highly recommend.
    Finally, love the rules canvas!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm following from Friday follow. I'm impressed that you are doing so much for Lent, it kind of snuck up on me this year it starts so early.

    http://lunaj1456.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Houston area friend!! Hopping over from Friday follow, and your comment left on my blog! Thanks! Man you ARE busy. I can only manage one study, at my church, and I don't have small children any longer! Yes,I did the personality test a long time ago.....I'd say I am a weird combination of Melancholy and phlegmatic. Easy going most of the time, but I do like things a certain way, but then sometimes I am too laid back to make them happen! I am married to a melancholy/choleric, so it is true that opposites attract, right? Nice to meet you....maybe one day we can have a Texas blogger meet up....do you know about Texas Blogger blog? It lists about 150 Texas bloggers~!!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I’m Joy from Girly Girl Giveaways coming over from the Friday Follow to say HELLO!

    Come visit me, too: http://girlygirlgiveaways.blogspot.com

    I'm going to have to make a RULE CANVAS! LOVELY IDEA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your rules canvas. And sounds like you are doing well with Lent.
    Came over from Friday Follow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog! Your canvas is really neat! I want something like that for my family.

    I'm following you from Friday Follow!
    Heather
    http://www.ratherbechangingdiapers.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet blog! Visiting from Friday Follow! I'm your newest follower! Love for you to come visit me!

    Have a great weekend :)
    ~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your family rules turned out really cool! Do you have it up on the wall now?

    I love the idea of the diaper wreath to hang up at the hospital. With being in the hospital for 4 days for a c-section, that is something that I'd love to receive!

    What's a diaper baby, though?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Rules canvas. I love the rules you chose too. Darling!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails