Monday, January 4, 2010

Motivated Mommy Mondays: Sharing the Word with my Kids

Okay, it's official now Mondays will be dedicated to being a godly mother. I added the word "Motivated" because I am a mommy on a mission: raising kids who know and love the Lord so much that they want to serve Him and glorify Him every day of their lives.

Today's topic first came to me a little over a month ago. I was thinking about a topic no parent wants to consider but every parent has the responsibility to consider: who would raise our kids if something happened to us? The answer to that question led me to another question: what would I want them to remember when raising my kids? Immediately I knew of most importance to me was that my kids know the word of God inside and out. See, I not only believe Hebrews 4:12 but I have experienced it on numerous occasions. 

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

 I am not foolish enough to think if a child is raised in a Christian home, sees a Christian example, and maybe even experiences God's love and power first hand, than he or she will no doubt receive Christ as savior. Actually, I have known way too many kids who grew up in that very environment only to spend the rest of their lives running from God. However, I know from personal experience once the Bible is ingrained in you it is there forever. I can also verify that it does indeed "judge the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." It gives us a conscience. 


I have full confidence that if scripture is instilled in my kids, then no matter how far from God they may get the Holy Spirit will eventually use those scriptures to remind them of their true identity in Christ. Eventually leading them back to Himself. 


After thinking about all of this I realized, though this is the one thing I would want my kids guardians to instill in them, I am not doing such a great job at it myself.  We do a few things but not nearly enough.  So I am writing today's blog with the hope that some of you could suggest some creative ways of teaching kids scripture.


Here are some of the things we already do:
  • Our son attends AWANAS weekly where he learns a new memory verse every week.
  • We try to read a devotional or Bible story to our kids every night (though we have not done so well at that recently).
  • When disciplining I also refer to a book called "Parenting with Scripture: A Topical Guide for Teachable Moments" by Kara Durbin
  • Finally, I try to pray scripture with my kids whenever the opportunity arises.
Any suggestions would help,
MEL

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could help but since Maddy is so young we just talk to her about Scripture and pray verses over her. But we are planning to do the Wonder Devotional Book Series that CEF makes when she gets a little older. You seem to be doing a good job already but I do hope someone can give you some good ideas!

    I really like you blog! Would you like to do a guest post on my blog? About whatever you want? I don't have many "followers" but it would give your blog a little more exposure. Women would be greatly blessed to read it! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails