Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Taking it to Him Tuesday's: Praying for My Community

I live in a small suburban community located on the Northeast side of one of our nation's largest cities: Houston, TX. So when I talk about praying for my community I am referring to Atascocita and Houston. Though the Lord has given me a desire to see both area's know Him and make Him known, I write today's post with a heavy heart for Houston.
In the last few months this great city has undergone some changes that may not concern most, but from a Christian point of view I am a little worried about the direction our city is headed. Though there are a few other issues that bother me like the economy, and the recent election of the cities first openly gay mayor. The issue that I am most grieved by is the construction of what will be the largest abortion clinic in North America. The clinic will be located in the former head quarters of a local bank. That's right, with a little construction on the six story 78,000 sq. ft. building Planned Parenthood will be opening the doors of this new clinic in the spring. What's even more disturbing is that they will be carrying out late term abortions.

To be honest when I first heard about this I was completely surprised. I never thought that this would happen in the Bible belt, much less in my own backyard. Houston is not only home to some of the largest churches in the country but it is also the home of the fastest growing Catholic Diocese. How can this be happening in such a religious community?

Sadly, the answer is simple, we as Christian let it happen. We are not spending nearly enough time on our knees in prayer for our communities. Let me ask you some tough questions: do you know what's happening in your community? Have you been praying for your community?  If not when will you start? Will it take something drastic before you understand the urgency?

Please don't wait any longer. Join me in praying for our nation and its communities.

"If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will HEAL their land."
2 Chronicles 7"14

MEL

2 comments:

  1. Sean told me about that. I was very surprised. He also said it is located in the middle of a few ghettos... not sure what he was talking about. Maybe near the 5th or 3rd ward? I could be way off because I haven't read anything about it. But it is crazy! And sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's located @ 45 and cullen close to U of H and TCU. They are so targeting young minorities!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails