Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wedded Wednesday's: The Willing Wife


Obviously Wednesday’s are going to be dedicated to being a godly wife. I chose Wednesdays because there seems to be a blogging trend out there dedicating Wednesday to being a better wife. Therefore, because everyone is already in the wife mindset I thought I would get a better response if I carried on the trend and stuck with Wednesday.

So, without further ado:

Today’s post came to me while I was trying to figure out what to name my Wednesday posts. Since we will be talking about being a better wife to our husbands who are MEN I jokingly threw out The Willing Wife Wednesdays. Of course, I was never serious about that title in that context. After all, being a godly wife is about way more than just meeting our husband’s sexual needs. However, the more I thought about it… the more I liked it. Not because of its sexual implications, but rather because in recent days my biggest struggle as a wife has been willingly serving my husband. See, too often (not always but too often) I serve him out of obligation and occasionally with resentment.

I think it’s dangerous when we as wives start to think of certain chores as part of our job description as a wife. Now, don’t misunderstand me, I am not saying we have no responsibility as a wife to do the laundry and wash the dishes and have dinner on the table at a decent hour, or even have sex with our husbands on a regular basis. Rather, I think in the right frame of mind, that is exactly what we are supposed to do. But here’s the thing, it is NOT a J-O-B! See, when you work a job: you get paid, and you have set hours (meaning you get a break), and you usually have reviews that tell you how you are doing and how you can improve, and sometimes you even get awards our rewards. However, as a wife we do not normally get those things. But, when we look at our responsibilities like a J-O-B we start to subconsciously act like we should be getting those things. And in turn, we start to resent our boss husband.

So, that might seem a little harsh. Trust me it is just as hard for me to swallow as it might be for you. But we have got to stop looking at being a wife as a job. Instead, we need to do those things with a willing heart, out of service to our husbands and our Lord. After all, we are called to be helpmates. In my experience, that means taking care of the house, the kids, and all the day to day things so that my husband is not distracted by them. Therefore, he can focus on the tasks God has put before Him. See, as Christian women we all want our husbands to serve God and be a man after God’s own heart. However, we do not always see that supporting them in that endeavor requires more than just words of encouragement.
Personally, God has been convicting me that my responsibilities to my husband are more than just a job; they are an opportunity to serve him and support him. So, from now on I plan on doing those things because I love my husband and I want to make his life easier and stress free. Also because I want to enable him to be the man God calls him to be.

One final note: there is a saying that goes like this, “Behind every great man is a great woman.” I think the world would have us believe that is because she was there to smack some sense in him when he got out of line. But more likely it is because she supported him in these ways and enabled him to be all that he could be.


Just some thoughts on what God has been teaching me,

MEL


2 comments:

  1. That was an amazing post! I have to admit I don't always joyfully serve Sean. It is wrong. I try to remind myself that God has put me out of everyone in his life. Serving him is my ministry, it is how I glorify God! This really was a wonderful post!!! And I love the Wednesday title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! I mean God has *picked* me out of everyone... not put me out of everyone! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails