Saturday, January 2, 2010

Fruitful Friday: Blessed in 2009

Sorry it's a little late. We spent all of Friday and most of Saturday helping some friends who needed us.

It was not hard at all to think of what I was most thankful for in 2009. Three things really stood out.

The First blessing was our new van. After years of wanting a new vehicle God finally blessed us with the money to purchase one in March and a great one at that. The journey was not easy but well worth the wait. Though our old car did the job, we wanted something bigger and knew we would eventually need bigger. In fact, though we had the seat space we were already quite cramped. On top of that, our car had been wrecked twice and both times I was driving. Thankfully, the kids were not with me so they always felt safe in it but seeing the impact two minor accidents had on that car I was a little uneasy about how safe it was.

In 2008 we thought we were going to be able to purchase a new vehicle but God directed us to wait. At first we were frustrated but then we thought about how faithful he had been to us in that department. For instance, all the issues with that car were cosmetic. The engine ran great and the AC was fabulous. Plus, though I had been in two wrecks (both when I was pregnant) I was unharmed. If you had seen the car after the first wreck you would understand just how faithful he has been to us. So after thinking about all that, I was okay with waiting. My acceptance made 2008 a lot less stressful. We knew our God would come through for us and boy did he.

In March of 09 (about a year later) we were able to purchase a slightly used (less than 15,000 miles) Dodge Grand Caravan for significantly less than we would have paid in 2008 (due to the economy). On top of that we were able to put down just under half of what it cost. Oh and did I mention it meets all of our needs and then some. We were finding awesome additions well into May. Best of all we should have it paid off before the one year mark.

The second blessing that stood out might just prove to be the best blessing of all. I finally finished my degree! Woo Hoo! Finishing school with two kids is not easy and there were many late nights when I wondered if it was worth it. I was neglecting my family, sacrificing my kid's mother and my husband's wife. And believe me, it was showing in all of our behavior. Though it was not easy, I chose to stick it out, because I knew God had called me to get my degree. I was sure of my calling and sure God would enable me to do it. After all, He is holy and a holy God would not punish me for doing what he asked. In June I finished and I've been making up for all the lost time. I can honestly say my marriage is better now than it has ever been. And well while we are still trying to correct some of the behaviors that the kids started while mommy was so busy, I know that because my God is so faithful my kids will turn out fine. After all, they are in His hands.

The third blessing that stands out was actually given to us in 2008. However, I don't think we realized how much of a blessing it was until this year. This blessing is actually a number of blessings that fall under one name: The Schoolcraft/Patterson Lifegroup (our Sunday school class). The class was started at the beginning of 2008 and we are truly blessed to be a part of it. I cannot tell you what a blessing it has been to live life with these guys. They have really become like family to us. I think the biggest blessing given to us threw them has been spiritual growth. They challenge us to honor God in every area of our lives and they hold us accountable. Thanks to all of you guys for being such good friends and for doing your best to follow God and glorify Him daily. Oh and 2010 is already turning out to be great because it started with you guys. Love ya!

Thank you Lord for these and many other blessings in 2009,

MEL

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had such a wonderful year!!! Hoping 2010 is even BETTER for you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails