Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thursday's in His Tent: What do I know?

Okay, so I know the name I chose for Thursday's might seem a little peculiar, but I believe it is more significant than any other name I have chosen for this blog. See, it is my desire to dedicate Thursdays to God, because I want to know Him more. So, when I was trying to decide on a name for Thursdays God reminded me of the "tent of meeting".

The "tent of meeting" is where Moses would go to speak with God. At this point you might be thinking a lot of people spoke with God in a lot of different places, what's so special about this place? Well, for that answer we need to look at Exodus 33: 7-11. This section of Exodus tells us about the tent. Specifically verse 9 says, "As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the LORD spoke with Moses." Then in verse 11a it says, "The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend."  So, though I will not meet with God in a literal tent, it is my desire to have Him speak to me face to face as He spoke to Moses in the "tent of meeting." I want to see His face. By that I mean I want to get a glimpse of who he really is.

On April 26th I will celebrate 10 years with my Savior. And in ten years as a Christian I have learned a lot about God. I have read the Bible through and through. I have attended numerous bible studies. I have a Bachelors of Science in Religion from Liberty University and I have experienced God first hand. Yet, I feel like I know so little about Him and I know I am not the only one who feels that way.

The truth is none of us can truly comprehend who God is. In fact, until we meet Him on that glorious day we are all just clueless. But does that mean we should stop trying to understand Him, to know Him? I don't think so. In fact, I think it's just the opposite. We need to seek him wholeheartedly. Even if all we get is a glimpse of who he might be, because just a glimpse can change us forever. I think Addison Road says it best in the song "What do I know of Holy." The second verse goes like this:

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees


I love this song, because it's reality. In fact, I'd like to take a little more of your time to  focus on the three lines not highlighted. 

I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page


See, I think that is exactly what happens when we stop trying to seek God's face. It's as if we become numb to the gospel. Because when we lose sight of who God is we also lose sight of exactly what he sacrificed for us. Then ministry becomes more of a trend than sharing the grace we have received.  


Just some thoughts on what God is teaching me,
MEL

1 comment:

  1. Come visit my blog... you have an award waiting for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails